Man Jailed After Shooting At Police Officer

27th March 2015

A man who discharged a gun, shooting an officer through the hand, has been jailed for 12 years today (27 March) at Inner London Crown Court.

Michael Olsen - 52 (11.02.63) - of Lavinia Road, Dartford, Kent was jailed after being found guilty of GBH with intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, possession of ammunition with intent to endanger life and dangerous driving at the same court on 12 January.

The court heard how at approximately 21:10hrs on 3 October 2014, PCs Mark Bird and Robert Wilson from Bexley Borough were called to Olsen's Land Rover Freelander which had been abandoned in the middle of Westwood Lane, Welling. The car had collided with a traffic island and several other parked vehicles in the road.

A member of the public spoke to the first officers on scene and told them the driver of the car had walked off in the direction of Welling.

PCs Bird and Wilson drove further down the road and saw Olsen walking in nearby Wendover Way. They pulled alongside Olsen and said they needed to speak to him but Olsen ignored them and carried on walking.

The officers got out of their car and PC Wilson followed Olsen, while PC Bird repeated that police needed to speak to him. At this point Olsen, now standing just six feet away, turned round, pointed a firearm at PC Wilson and threatened him.

Fearing for the safety of his colleague PC Bird lunged at Olsen who discharged the firearm, shooting him in the hand. Both officers restrained Olsen, disarming him and arresting him.

On searching Olsen, a bag of bullets were found in his pocket. He was taken into custody where he denied knowing the firearm was genuine, stating he thought it was a toy.

DC Toby Carroll from the Trident Gang Crime Command, Metropolitan Police Service,  investigated the incident.

He said: "Olsen showed a reckless disregard throughout the evening of 3 October. It is only by chance that his decision to brandish and discharge a firearm at unarmed officers did not have fatal consequences, as could his behaviour behind the wheel of his car.

"His claim that the firearm was a toy was little more than pathetic. He will now spend a considerable time behind bars as a result of his actions."

Borough Commander of Bexley Jeff Boothe said: "This incident highlights the dangers that police officers can face as they go about their job. PC Mark Bird and PC Robert Wilson, knowing they were faced with a man in possession of a firearm, did not shirk from their duty to protect Londoners. They bravely confronted this man, disarmed him and arrested him - I cannot praise their courage enough."

For more information visit

news Archive

NABIS database